Outdoor Christmas displays range from the sublime to the absurd. While everyone has their own taste and preferences, a few rules of thumb should be considered when planning your display. Follow our tips, and you're sure to be the envy of your neighborhood this Christmas.
For an elegant look:
- Buy some real or artificial pine roping, or garland, and swag it from the porch and/or wrap it around porch supports. Hang bright red bows at the tops of the swags, and run strands of tiny white lights through the garland.
- Consider shining red or green spotlights on a pretty evergreen tree in your yard.
- To intensify the look of lights, mass lights on each bush, tree or shrub. Wind the strands in and out of the bushes for a vivid impact.
- Buy or make a really beautiful wreath and hang it on your front door. Shine a white spotlight on it at night.
- Use strands of tiny multi-colored lights. Drape them on trees, wrap them around bushes, and run them along the eves on your house.
- Try sticking to one size of bulbs for your entire display. Miniature lights create a twinkling effect, but the big, old-fashioned outdoor lights create a fun, nostalgic effect too.