1. Remove the seat. Wash the wood surface with TSP+, then sand and prime.
2. Paint with black latex paint. Let dry completely.
3. Apply crackle medium. Let dry. Apply topcoat with sea sponge for a more uniform finish.
For the seat:
Start by selecting the desired fabric, tassel trim, quilt batting, and upholstery foam at your local fabric store.
1. Cut foam to shape of seat. (Tip: trace the seat shape on paper to make a pattern; then place the pattern on the upholstery foam, cutting to exact shape.)
2. Place quilt batting on top of the piece of foam and staple on the underside of the seat. Pull taut to compress edges of seat for a rounded appearance. Place fabric over batting and secure with staples. Glue trim on the edge of the seat for contrast. (In the picture, tassels were placed on the back of seat for a nice embellishment.)
3. Secure seat on chair.
Optional: Use a small artist's brush to paint or stencil decorative details to delight the eye.