Note: Length of safety matches may vary. Buy and measure the matches; then cut the sides, back, and front 1 inch shorter than the length of the match if you want the match heads to show (see photo).
1. Cut the sides, back, front and bottom pieces of the match box from 1 inch pine stock (see diagram).
2. Use 1½ inch finishing nails and wood glue, assemble the box. Set nails.
3. The back and sides will be approximately 2 inches lower than the front peak of the house to allow easy access to the matches and hide the heads from view.
4. Use a small piece of 1½ inch x ¼ inch trim to form the decorative roof overhang. Attach with ¾ inch finishing nails.
5. Decorate your finished project with paint or stain.