Damaged or improperly used electric products don’t only pose a risk of electric shock; they’re also a fire hazard. Overloaded outlets, crowded wires, space heaters, and overheated appliances are all at risk for sparking a fire in your house. To ensure that your outlets, wires, and appliances don’t cause fire to start, ensure they are not overcrowded or overloaded so that they don’t overheat. This can be done by using power strips instead of overcrowding outlets. Be sure appliances are up to date and are kept far enough away from furniture and combustible items, so they don’t overheat and spark a flame. Make it a habit to unplug appliances, heaters, and loaded outlets when you’re not using them to save energy and prevent accidents.
Most electrical fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets and old appliances. Other fires can be started by faults in cords, receptacles, and switches. Never use worn, frayed, bare, or damaged cords, as they can overheat and send the heat to other combustible surfaces, like floors, curtains, and rugs. Running extension cords under rugs and carpets can also overheat and cause a fire to start.
Light fixtures, lamps, and light bulbs are another common cause of electrical fires. Often this happens because of an incorrect wattage. Installing a bulb with a wattage too high for the lamp and light fixture can cause a fire to start. Always check that the lightbulb you’re using is appropriate for the light fixture or lamp and is far enough away from paper, cloth, or other combustible items that can catch fire when exposed to too much direct heat.